The interruptions of the championship occurred due to disagreements between the sub-associations, which culminated in 1929 when the YFA Assembly was dissolved. The differences were resolved in February 1930, after the three months of crisis. The extraordinary Assembly was convened, and it took place on 16th May 1930 in Zagreb. It was voted that the association’s headquarters be moved to Belgrade, and that the name of the association would be changed into Yugoslav Football Association (“Fudbalski savez Jugoslavije”). Since then, until the dissolution of the federation, the house of football was in the capital of Serbia.

uruguayWhile the officials were arguing, football flourished and came to its peak at the First World Championship in Uruguay in 1930. The sub-association of Zagreb had, due to unresolved differences, forbidden the Croatian players to play for the national team, so the national team that went to Uruguay was composed of Serbian clubs’ players only. Soon the good news started coming from this faraway country, and the last one was that the team of Serbian football players has won the 3rd/4th place.

This success at the Mondial gave a new incentive to the Serbian football, and the clubs, led by FK BSK dominated the state scene until the beginning of World War II.

The winds of war stopped the game for some time, yet the life won the battle so the football was “rolling” even during the occupation. That period made the players who, later in the 20th century, celebrated the Yugoslav and Serbian football.

The end of the war was the beginning of the reconstruction, and devastated football grounds and stadia, as well as football clubs that needed to be restored. On 25th February 1945, the football club Metalac was founded, later its name was changed into BSK, and then into OFK Beograd, as successor to the tradition of the glorious pre-war Belgrade sports club (BSK). The Red Star (FK Crvena Zvezda) shone on 4th March 1945, and FK Partizan on 4th October of the same year. Football clubs of Vojvodina of Novi Sad, Borac of Čačak, Sloboda of Užice, and many other clubs were also restored.

The increase of the number of clubs required the creation of one unique organization, and the Football Association of Serbia was founded again on 28th August 1948. Soon after that, on 8th and 9th September 1948, the Yugoslav Football Association was restored.

In almost half the century of the existence of the Socialist Federative Republic of Yugoslavia, and later during Serbia and Montenegro, the Football Association of Serbia has always been the dominating factor. In its continuing development it has become an organization with more than two thousand clubs competing in 338 leagues, with 125,000 players of different age categories. As such, the Serbian FA always had a prevailing impact on the quality and mass character of football in the country.

All that time the FA of Serbia was working on development of professionals which helped it maintain its dominating position. Besides the seven pre-war titles of the football clubs BSK (5) and Jugoslavija (2), until its independence the Football Association of Serbia won 46 more titles of the state champion (FK Crvena zvezda 24, FK Partizan 19, FK Vojvodina 2, FK Obilić 1) and 36 national Cup trophies (FK Crvena zvezda 21, FK Partizan 9, OFK Beograd 4, FK Sartid 1, FK Železnik 1), as well as the most valuable trophy – Champion’s Cup, that FK Crvena zvezda won in 1991.

Football Association of Serbia has proved its strength as participant in the organization of big competitions, such as Champions’ Cup finals in 1973 (Juventus – Ajax, 1:0), and the final tournament of the Nations’ Cup in 1976.

After the dissolution of the federation, and separation of Montenegro, on 28th June 2006, Football Association of Serbia became the national home of football, and was admitted to the membership of FIFA and UEFA, as legal successor to all the previous national associations whose part it was. By this the world and European federations acknowledged the continuity of football in the territory of Serbia, and decisive role of the Serbian association in creating the history of the game in Western Balkans since the end of 19th century.